The kids' spirit of adventure was not going to allow this body of water to remain unexplored! So, back to the house again to get their sandals on. I wasn't going to be held responsible for getting a pair of new Hannah Montana shoes wet. They're virtually irreplaceable unless you can find a Wal-mart (or was it Kohl's?) in Plano. Either way, I wasn't going to take my chances.
We returned to the mouth of the raging river, this time geared up. As we began our trek, we noticed that someone had been through here before. A raccoon...and someone wearing Nikes.
I must admit that this is a pretty sweet area to be so close to the house (at least for North Texas standards - perhaps I have been here too long). But it's got a nice rock bottom and very little mud. Tons of minnows and a few frogs.
Alas, we came up on a pair of rare migratory fowl.
Perhaps we can tag them and track their movements, possibly naming this new species after ourselves. Just don't make any...
...sounds. Oh well, there went our ticket to fortune and fame. Elena said they were just regular ducks, but what does a 5 year old know about rare bird species, anyway?
We pressed on. A piece of metal conduit provided Donovan with a walking apparatus.
The water was getting deeper and deeper. I suspected Elena had contracted Malaria and gone mad.
The water got too deep at a point where we actually found some larger fish. Pirhana, I suspected. We turned back.
On the way back, we came upon a larger cave.
Maybe next time. At least my back likes the height of that one. But I'm going to kill the kid who keeps spray-painting peace signs!!! I'm not keen on the other graffiti either, but that's not nearly as ironic.
No comments:
Post a Comment